Haynes World - ships, ferries, a laugh on the ocean wave, and other interesting things...

03 April 2018

Mithras - London Mithraeum


A newspaper article in November 2017 which caught my attention


Crowds in 1954


I went to London and walked across the road from Cannon Street station


And there behind me was the site of the London Mithraeum:
12 Walbrook, London EC4N 8AA


From another angle


Entry is free, but with a timed ticket; I was handed this booklet on entry


Built on a special place


What to see


Descend through time - an extraordinary sensation as I went down many steps to the past


There was the altar


From another angle


Base of one original door post, near my feet


On current ground level


A closer look at some of the finds


Beautiful fragments


I had a fascinating and memorable visit; details can be found at https://www.londonmithraeum.com


After my visit I walked along and down College Hill


Richard Whittington's Church


Round the corner was the entrance to St. Michael's Church, and the offices of The Mission to Seafarers, at St. Michael Paternoster Royal, College Hill, London EC4R 2RL
(https://www.missiontoseafarers.org)