Haynes World - ships, ferries, a laugh on the ocean wave, and other interesting things...

04 April 2014

BERGENSFJORD 2014 Part 1


Part 1 – M.S. TROLLFJORD

22nd March 2014
I flew with Norwegian Air on an early flight from London Gatwick to Bergen in Norway, prior to joining the brand-new Fjord Line cruise ferry BERGENSFJORD on 24th March. As we took off I was able to see some of the London city sights as we gained height, including the tall building called The Shard, and then the Tower of London, and then the O2 Arena near the old Royal Victoria Docks (see February 2013 blog).



Soon we were over the east coast and heading north/north-east over the thick cloud cover far below.


Something in Norwegian Air's on-board magazine that caught my eye!

I had been following the weather information and forecasts for my time in Bergen, and we were soon enveloped in thick cloud, with the occasional sight of a snow-covered mountain top as we prepared for landing. I caught the airport bus into the city and soon walked to my nearby hotel. As expected, it was raining.

I knew that the day’s Hurtigruten vessel would arrive about 2.15 p.m. so struggled into my cold-proof, water-proof and snow-proof clothing and set out for the Hurtigruten Terminal in the next harbour. From under my buffeted umbrella I could see the wonderful UNESCO-protected Bryggen buildings along the waterside, but the Fish Market further along was deserted.

M.S. TROLLFJORD had arrived and was bunkering, in readiness for her 10.30 p.m. departure from Bergen.

TROLLFJORD bunkering in Bergen, Norway

I already knew that the Hurtigruten company welcomes any visitors to their ships in their ports of call, and so wanted to see what this vessel was like on board. I was welcomed and directed up to an official near the overhead walkway, who gave me a visitor card and showed me where to get on board, so I was soon walking onto my third ship of the year.

Reception and the little rug in front

The little rug

Atrium artwork

Deck Plan

Glass door handle I liked

Sea Life

Saga Hall Restaurant

Trollfjord

Forward view

Panorama Lounge

Attractive carpet

Ship details

More details

Lighthouse light

Fabulous light - just look at that bird inside it

Library

Sea waves to avoid

Distinctive Kaare Espolin Johnsen work

Hanging on deck

Builders' plate

Arctic Pool area (it felt like it)

Aft Sun Deck and part of Bergen

An unexpected sight amongst the wall plaques, gifts from ports visited

Some passengers were already settling in and obviously enjoying their surroundings, and many of the English ones were keen to talk to me and know what I was doing as I wasn’t sailing with them.

Through the glass of the overhead walkway - goodbye TROLLFJORD

I had a very interesting time looking around the ship, and comparing it with others in the fleet I had visited (RICHARD WITH, NORDNORGE and POLARLYS (see 2011 blog), or sailed on (NORDSTJERNEN, see 2011 blog), and felt very grateful to be able to visit TROLLFJORD this time. The coastal voyage is something I would certainly like to do one of these days.